I’m Here for You
I want to hear from you,
share your thoughts, voice your opinion. Together we will make a difference.
February 18, 2017
Update on the 30th Alaska Legislature
The 30th Alaska Legislature is well underway and the Alaska House Majority Caucus has been working steadfastly to craft a fiscal plan which all Alaskans can be proud of.
Rep. Tuck serves as chair of the House Military and Veteran’s Affairs Committee.
We are facing a $3 billion budget deficit, and although per capita state spending is at the lowest level in 30 years, we are still far from a sustainable budget. The challenges are enormous:
- Since 2014, the state has cut state spending by almost 40 percent, from over $7 billion to roughly $4 billion.
- Every $100 million in cuts will eliminate 1,000 to 1,500 private and public sector jobs.
- Many cuts result in the loss of additional federal funds. States have access to Federal match funds and programs for which municipalities and boroughs are frequently ineligible, or lack the capacity to take advantage of.
- Many cuts shift necessary burdens such as retirement obligations and public safety ‘downhill’ to municipalities and boroughs, rather than producing any real reduction in the burden on Alaskan taxpayers.
- We should be cautious when shifting costs down to local governments, which can both eliminate or reduce services as well as increase real costs.
I am committed to making sure you have the most accurate information available so I can best represent you in the Legislature. Please look for my latest newsletter in your mailbox. It contains important updates and an invitation to two upcoming public meetings I hope you will attend.
Here is a link to an electronic version you can share with friends and neighbors:
Representative Chris Tuck’s latest legislative newsletter (front page reproduced above) is on the way to mailboxes throughout the district.
Two Special Invites:
ANCHORAGE LEGISLATIVE CAUCUS
Saturday, February 25
10:00 a.m. to Noon
Anchorage Legislative Information Office
1500 West Benson Boulevard
REP. CHRIS TUCK’S LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
Saturday, February 25
Elim Café—561 W. Dimond Blvd.
Please be on the lookout for the invite above in your mailbox!
As always, I’m here for you, so please keep in touch on matters important to you and your family!
Alaska State Representative
District 23 - Anchorage