Juneau – Today, Representatives Les Gara (D-Anchorage), David Guttenberg (D-Fairbanks), and Andy Josephson (D-Anchorage) issued a call for the state run Alaska Aerospace Corporation to return most of the remaining funds left unspent from the roughly $98 million in state general funds appropriated since 2009.Read more
Only in Juneau could you have a $3.5 billion deficit, while some who view themselves as “fiscal conservatives” claim we should keep running a money-losing rocket business that sits idle seven days a week most weeks of every year. Here’s the difficult thing: you could fire every state employee, every trooper, every social worker and, well, everyone, and only cover roughly half of the deficit. We have to be smart about our budget, and cut things that are not smart. Unwise spending of finite state funds means we will not be able to afford the things that create educational opportunity, protect children from neglect and abuse, and protect the economy from a sea of unemployed people.Read more
The Legislative Session started Tuesday. As far as I can tell, I have two major jobs right now. They are to:
1. Work hard to put you, your families, and neighbors first;
2. Figure out how to walk five blocks in horizontal Juneau rain without collecting three pounds of rainwater on my clothes. It’s not a good look.
JUNEAU – Representative Les Gara (D-Anchorage) and Representative Scott Kawasaki (D-Fairbanks) are asking the Administration of Governor Walker to analyze the benefits of selling the state owned Kodiak Launch Complex.Read more
It’s close to the Holidays. If you’re like me, you don’t want to talk a lot of politics. So let’s talk about:
1. The launch of our 2014 Holiday Laptops for Foster Youth Drive (thanks to you we’ve matched roughly 400 laptops with foster youth so far);
2. A potential last??? chance for you to get State Rebate$ for upgrading the heating and energy efficiency at your homes; and,
3. Holiday donation and volunteer needs if you haven’t figured where to direct your efforts.